Replacing hardwood floors

Emma
Has anyone tried and had success removing the original parquet wood floors?
If so, what equipment and method did you use to get them up?
Did it pull up baseboards too?
Or, has anyone installed a new wood floor over the existing parquet?  If so, how did that turn out?

Re: Replacing hardwood floors

Emma
I forgot to ask, if you have indeed pulled up the old parquet, do you have a contractor you recommend to do this work?

Re: Replacing hardwood floors

Meera
Hi Emma-

I installed vinyl flooring above my original parquet. It worked very well, but that is due to the condition of the parquet. It was flat, not buckled and almost original shape.

I used Carpet liquidators.

Re: Replacing hardwood floors

Melisa

I removed the parquet floors myself (with help from a friend). I used a special tool (not sure what it's called) to remove them. I still have if it if you need it! The floors I removed were not in great shape. It was a lot of work, but nothing crazy-- just what you'd expect from removing floors!

I can also recommend a floor company. I forget the name right now, but I can look it up if you're interested. They did a great job for me!